Dilworth was established in 1891 by Edward Dilworth Latta on 250 acres southwest of Uptown Charlotte. It was Charlotte’s first street car suburb, with cars running from Uptown through the neighborhood and ending at Latta Park. The evidence of the street cars remain most prominently along East Boulevard, which was transformed into almost a parkway thanks to the large islands of landscaping that run through the middle.
In its time, Latta Park was a 90 acre amusement complex the featured baseball, football and even pavilions. Today, Latta Park is only 32 acres and features a picnic shelter, walking trails, fields, and playgrounds.
Latta Park isn’t the only park in Dilworth. 1944, The Charlotte Lions Club started raising funds to build “Homefront Parks” throughout Charlotte as a memorial to the soldiers that would be returning from fighting in WWII. In 1949, the city of Charlotte deeded 98 acres over to the Lions Club for the creation of Freedom Park. Today, the park features numerous shelters, walking paths, nature trails, a nature center, playgrounds and even connects with the Little Sugar Creek Greenway. The park is always busy with runners, folks engaging in yoga, nature lovers, and picnic goers.
As a result of the parks and the neighborhood design with access to a street car in mind, Dilworth is among Charlotte’s most walkable neighborhoods. East Boulevard down past the intersections of Scott and Kenilworth Avenues has some of the Charlotte area’s most popular dining options including 300 East, Copper, Bad Daddy Burgers, The Summit Room, Duck Doughnuts, and more.
Today, housing choices range from condos, townhomes, craftsman-style bungalows, all the way to luxury estate homes. The Lynx Blue Line can be accessed in via numerous stops in nearby South End and the proximity to Uptown (as well as CMC-Main) has helped this neighborhood grow in to one of the premier addresses in Charlotte.